2017 JulyTest, Don't Guess: Monitoring Bacteria Counts in "as-fed" Calf Milk
July 7th, 2017
July calf management newsletter
Test, Don't Guess: Monitoring Bacteria Counts in "as-fed" Milk
Clickon this: http://www.atticacows.com/library/newsletters/CEJuly2017.pdf to go to the newsletter.
- Milk residues provide an excellent place for bacteria to grow and form biofilms.
- Biofilms on equipment are a common source of bacteria in the milk/milk replacer we feed to our calves.
- Contaminated milk (bacteria) can pose a significant health challenge for young dairy calves resulting in diarrhea and secondary respiratory infections.
- It is cost effective to regularly sample and culture “as-fed” milk in order to monitor the effectiveness of our sanitation practices.
- Practical sampling procedures.
<< Return to News & Events