Prepare Calves for Hot Summer Weather
June 21st, 2018
- Hot weather can increase energy demands as much as 30-30%.
- Feeding extra milk/milk replacer is a best management practice to help calves cope with hot weather stress.
- Watch for symptoms of dehydration - sunken eyes, ddry mouth & nose, slowness to rise.
- Give special attention to scouring calves - dehydration may come on rapidly - always act right away to provide supportive care
- Ask your veterinarian or veterinary technician to show you how to use the skin tenting test for dehydration.
- Schedule calf handling activities during the early cool hours of the day if possible.
<< Return to News & Events