November Calf Mgt Newsletter "The When of Oral Electrolytes"
November 7th, 2019
The "When" for Oral Electrolytes
The main points in this letter are:
- Electrolytes are only helpful if the calf drinks them.
- The most important ingredient in an oral electrolyte feeding is water.
- As soon as a calf’s manure will no longer stay on top of her bedding she may be losing more fluid than she is consuming – it is electrolyte time!
- What other criteria make sense when deciding which calves receive electrolyte feedings?
- How does electrolyte feeding fit into the daily routine?
- Calves should still have access to free-choice water when receiving oral electrolytes and we should continue our regular milk feeding protocol.
<< Return to News & Events